Hey guys, I don't know if you know this about me but I am an excellent impersonator. Lorne Michaels himself called me recently to come audition for SNL but my schedule is just too packed. Between kindergarden, soccer, picking my nose, working on my letters, petting Emma, and bath time, I just don't have time to indulge him in his hopes of making me the next Jimmy Fallon. Maybe next year.
One of my favorite places to go to work on my craft is the Natural History Museum. My Tante takes me as she herself is an excellent impersonator. For example, on our most recent trip she taught me how to impersonate a person who has waited on line for 2 hours who most certainly does have a ticket to the museum in her pocket as we sashayed past the security guards. She is that good. She assures me that it was intregal to my practice as an impersonator that we do that. She is so dedicated to the craft. The amazing exhibits at the museum really allow my impersonations to breathe and develop. In this post I'll show you some tips on how you too can become one with the animals.
First up, a good stretch, always important to keep the body limber. You never know when you may have to impersonate a cheetah and you better be ready to spring into a full tilt run.
Next, we start off easy with some light iguana work, really try to feel the tree under the pads of your fingers.
We'll next move on to the crocodile, kick your legs back and use your wrists to paddle through the water/air.
Sometimes just a simple blank stare can convey everything you want it to about the life and times of a bachelor warthog. I like to give my characters back stories. This guy is always lookin' for love in all the wrong places. Poor thing.
Don't forget that impersonations involve using all of your senses. Here I am getting into character as a dinosaur by pretending to smell some dino dung. Phew.
ROAR! Don't be afraid to scare others, quite a few children ran screaming from me when I did this impersonation of a T.Rex. The European tourists were especially frightened and one was even heard to exclaim "Mein Gott! Einen kleinen Dinosaurier! Ich muss jetzt meine Unterwäsche!"
The terrors of the deep need not be forgotten, use your facial muscles to really accentuate your ferocious fangs.
Sometimes costume is necessary to get into character.
Think about what makes each animal unique. Here I throw back my head for a good salty air sniff much like this elephant seal.
And here I transform myself into sea tube clams, as well as the most photogenic child on earth.
Much like with any art, researching your subjects can be vitally important. Here I take a step back from my craft to learn more about the goblin fish, a very tricky creature to impersonate.
Hopefully these tips will provide you with a good base from which to start your own career as an impressionist. Now if you'll excuse me, me and this other bear have a small group of toddlers to terrify.

No comments:
Post a Comment