I realized recently that while I always get my thank you notes out on time (or close to it), I haven't written one to the most amazing gift giver of all in quite some time. I have had many failed starts, but I can never sum up my gratitude in a card for my wonderful sister (AKA Tante). So here is a late thank you to Katie, the worlds most remarkable aunt and sister. We are beyond lucky to have you.
Ellis was given this phenomenal quilt by Katie. All the embroidery is hand stitched. I encourage you to click on the picture to enlarge as every block is a work of love and beauty.
She shares herself with both boys and they love her for it. She doesn't ever seem to need a moment to herself when they are there (though I am SURE she does but is too kind to ask).
On our recent trip to Virginia (a post on that will be up soon), Kate planned a bunch of activities she knew we would love. Instead of just sitting around trying to figure out what to do next, Katie had zoo trips, bouncy castle parks and Dinosaur Land on the agenda. I don't know why King Kong was at Dinosaur Land, but we were happy to see him there.
She is the grand master of halloween costumes. Owen was given extra candy at multiple houses last year because of his costume. I am being serious. We went to several houses where the homeowners were so pleased to see a child in a non-store bought costume that they rewarded him with extra goodies (which Kate had a hand in eating).
I mean come on! A full T-Rex costume and a baby wig. That wasn't all...
She went so far as to make our baby barbarian a little girlfriend and a chewable "wooden" club (not pictured). Without her, we would have our kids in potato sacks on Halloween because I procrastinated and the store was out of everything else.
Kate is responsible for almost all of the boys unique items of clothing. Whenever I am asked "That is amazing, where did you find it?" The answer is invariably "my sister."

From day one, Kate was smitten. She loves Owen and Ellis so deeply and completely.
There is nobody in the world that Owen gets as excited to see. When Tante is around, nobody else matters. Don't even try to take him away before he has spent a good chunk of time with her.
Ellis is still trying to figure out how to stake a claim on Tante. He knows she is really great...but hasn't figured out how to get enough alone time with her. Owen is excellent at spiriting her away and keeping her from the chubby little hands of his younger brother.
On top of all the incredible gifts she has given, treats she has made, art she has crafted and love she has shared, Katie has also documented her nephews lives. The pictures she has taken of Owen and Ellis are amazing. She brings out the best in both of them and captures their spirits (witch!!) in each photo she snaps.
She gave me a gift in the tub once, but I didn't want it and refuse to thank her for it. For everything else, however, thank you Kate. You are a miracle. You make me a better mother. You enrich our boys lives so much. They are smarter and craftier because of your guidance. They see the world in a unique way because of how you have shown it to them. I know Owen carries your voice with him wherever he goes. It guides the choices he makes and adds pizazz to how he interacts with others.
Kate, you totally rock.






6 comments:
Thank YOU so much, this is so sweet and touching and tear inducing! I am so thankful everyday for those two boys and how sweet, goofy, loving, kind, silly, and incredible they are. I will take credit for a little of that but it is you and Erics unending love, patience, and parenting that are what make these kids so great. Once Ellis is big enough to take a bath with Owen I'll be sure to tell him about the special presents he can give him! A new family tradition! Love you guys all so much, can't wait to see those giggly little boys again soon!
That was a beautiful tribute to your sister Molly! Your boys are so lucky to have such a loving aunt!
you and kate are two wonderful people and how terrific that you see and appreciate it in one another. it's every parents' dream to see their children love and value each other - what a beautiful tribute!
What a beautiful blog, and a well-deserved tribute to Tante - really for being herself and sharing her bright, creative spirit with such love and generosity. How many would think of putting a toupee on an infant?
Post a Comment