Saturday, January 24, 2015

Maine Never Saw It Coming.

I swore I wouldn't let a month go by without a post, and yet here it is, January and I haven't posted since September. I think constantly about how fast things are moving and how important it is to document the silly, wonderful things happening in our lives. I usually elect not to disclose the less magical moments (like the ONE HOUR tantrum Ellis threw on Thursday because I wouldn't let him grab a handful of potato chips out of the bag, while Owen cried in the other room because I asked him to erase a word in his homework and rewrite it).  So I am back and hoping to record a lot more. One major event I didn't record was our May trip to York, Maine. As this year's May's trip is technically closer than last year's May trip, I figured I should get on that. May I present: The Gitelsons in Maine!



We started things off in true vacation style with a gathering at the local ice cream parlor in downtown York. The Goldenrod is something straight out of the 1950s. It has a soda fountain and long glass candy cases filled with every conceivable homemade candy in existence. Children literally bathe in sweets (see above).  

Swivel chairs to boot? This place has it all. We visited on a daily basis.

The house we stayed in had tons of space and a large kitchen. The boys, used to apartment living, spent hours trying to figure out how to climb these, what do you call them? Stairs. It was challenging but they eventually made it to the top where they were stuck for several hours before we called the fire department to help them back down. 



When we went on walks en mass, people heard us coming. 




A highlight of the trip was the day we went to the York's Wild Kingdom Zoo & Amusement Park.  

The best part, by far was the Hall of Mirrors. It was brilliant. They have a window where people can stand outside and watch their kids slam into walls inside. I know it sounds cruel, and it was. It was also so funny we (the parents and grandparents) were crying with laughter. They went in with such confidence and then SLAM, right into a mirror. Then they would walk a bit more, looking nervous. Once they regained confidence they would confidently move forward and SLAM! Right into another wall. I wish I had taken a video.


A big bay window in the boys room provided the scene for this picture, my favorite from the trip. Cousins Eli and Jonah became fast friends with their second cousins. It was so nice having so many kids so close in age.  Owen is very excited to see these two again next spring. I hope they all have cowboy hats by then.


The kids couldn't wait to get to the beach. Wearing just their jammies, they went down early one morning and came back wet and sandy. It was really sweet. I love this picture of Owen with his feet off the ground, celebrating the waves rolling in under brightening skies. It is also possible he is leaping, cartoon-style, in the air due to the frigid temperature of the May water. 



We were treated to a performance of Annie!, directed by Julia. Ellis was supposed to be Miss Hannigan but got his Carol Burnett characters confused and showed up as the cleaning lady cartoon from The Carol Burnett Show. A nude version.  

Josh  played Sandy (or "Sande") the dog. The look in his eyes tells me he has been in shows directed by his sister before. It's a mix of fear and willingness to comply- what every big sister wants to see.


The reason for our trip was Laura and Josh's wedding. We got the kids and the grandparents all dolled up and were ready to celebrate. We dressed Owen as a prepster from a 1980s movie and Ellis as Gil, the sad saleman from the Simpsons.

This photo makes me smile. I can envision this group together 20 years from now toasting at one of their own weddings.  It was special to Eric and his brothers to be celebrating their wonderful cousin Laura's special day. I wonder if there is a picture of all of them toasting 30 years ago. Probably not but how cool would it be if there was? In any event (I will get off that tangent about imaginary pictures now....though there is a pic of the adult cousins shoved in a tub together. I will let you guess whether they were kids or adults when it was taken.) This day was perfect. Sunny and warm and filled with such joy. Congrats to Laura and Josh who have had a truly remarkable year.




Aren't we purty?


Cousin Zoe immediately laid down the law at the wedding. Ellis would need to keep his hands off her teething biscuits and they would get along just fine. 


This picture is impressive because Owen somehow sent his eyeballs in totally different directions. 

Wrap around porches, sea breezes, lobster rolls and 4 stores selling homemade ice cream. Why doesn't everyone move here? Why don't we all just pack up our things and go? Seriously. I love NY, but if I could convince all my friends and family, and all of the kids friends to move here, life would be perfect. That shouldn't be too hard a task, right? 



Ellis is down with that plan. He already has his elderly man sun hat ready to go. Knee high trouser socks and tevas are next. 


Owen can get his dental work done before we all move. I can't imagine a small town dentist could handle these fangs.


                                                  
What are we waiting for? Start packing and lets get back there! To live. Forever. We can drink heavily in the winter to make those months tolerable as we await spring and summer. 

2 comments:

jane/grandma said...

Let's plan to go this summer! Wonderful blog with lots of information and great photos. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the great pix and update - hard to say what I loved most, as I loved it all - but Owen-with-fangs is definitely in the running! Love, Aunt E