Friday, November 11, 2011

Apple Harvest!

What would fall be without apple picking? We got in just under the wire this year with a visit to the orchard on October 29th. Dana did some serious investigating and located a site that still had some apples on the trees. Thankfully there were several trees with delicious Fuji and Gala apples. Perfect for pies (of which I made none), applesauce(mostly uneaten despite being tasty) and snacking (this is why no pies were made....we ate all the apples in the week following the pick).
Owen has bee apple picking every year since his birth. Here is a quick look back at year one and year two. Last year we went with Dana and Wayne. It was so fun we made a tradition of going together. Going two years in a row might make calling it "a tradition" a little premature, but mark my words.





This year's orchard was pretty neat. We got towed behind a tractor to the orchard. Despite being on a real, live big truck, Owen only had eyes for Dana.



Picking a fresh Owen from the tree is much harder now then it used to be. A six week old Owen is a wee-bit lighter, but not nearly as ripe.



Owen did not take the task at hand lightly. Pick, bag, pick, eat, ruminate over world economic crisis, repeat.



Growing up, donuts were never a part of my apple picking experience. They were a big part of Eric's. I feel that my childhood may have paled slightly in comparison due to this oversight. The fact that I didn't know apple-cider donuts even existed until I was 30 years old seems slightly tragic. We will not revisit that sadness on our child.



With a face like this, how could we do anything to make him unhappy?



Where does he get these poses? Goodness forbid we get a picture of Owen where he is staring right at the camera and smiling.



I give up on trying to train these beasts.



Next year, maybe we will play it safe and go apple picking in September. But with this group..... I dunno. We live on the edge of reason. A 2012 Christmas time pick might be just the challenge we are looking for.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I also recently discovered apple cider donuts. Mom and Dad have A LOT of explaining to do. Though if you aren't also bringing O to a diner in an old train car while on the way to apple picking then you too will have a lot of explaining to do when he turns 30.

Anonymous said...

There is a political explanation to this contretemps - at the time of the waning of the Vietnam War, many believed that apple cider donuts were a nefarious attempt by the military-industrial complex to subdue and hypnotize the populace. The contemporaneous emergence of the health food movement led many to choose alternative foods, including fresh apples, magic mushrooms and Alice B. Toklas brownies.

jeb5 said...

I wish Owen did grow on trees - i'd pick me a few! such a happy post!