Here Owen enjoys the fruits of his labor.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Picking Apples with Grown Ups.
On Columbus day weekend (I am so behind!), we had the pleasure of Dana (aka "Donut") and Wayne's (aka "James") company on an apple picking trip. We traveled up to Soons Orchard in Hampton, NY, in the Hudson Valley. I will let Owen take over from here.
My good friend Donut and I met up to pick some apples from trees. Usually, we just buy them from the store but my parents felt the need to drive an hour and go straight to the source. I didn't mind because it meant I got to see mommy's best friend who happens to be a grown-up my very own size.
I am pretty sure that for the rest of my life, there will be the compulsory picture of my parents either picking me from a tree or pretending to eat me. This might be awkward when I am 16. (Check those links out for an amazing gauge of how much Owen has grown in the past two years!)
The apples blew my mind! I was allowed to take a bite, toss it, then grab another, take a bite and toss it. I have tried this at home with other foods since our trip. Apparently, wastefulness is only allowed in orchards.
Anger eating is kosher at home and the orchard.
Being at Soons made me understand the power and beauty of nature...
as well as the power and beauty of wooden apple-head cut-outs. So glorious.
I picked a pumpkin for Grandma and Bamba. We will make a jack-o-lantern soon... at this rate, Christmas sounds about right.
The day got even better when edible donuts were introduced.
I am reluctant to show you how yummy this cider donut is, lest the camera-mom take a bite.
The day was wonderful. The weather was perfect, the orchards weren't crowded and all the adults bought WAY too many apples. I wonder what I will be like next year when we go again. I am pretty sure I will have a moustache and being in my jodhpur-wearing phase.
Here Owen enjoys the fruits of his labor.
Here Owen enjoys the fruits of his labor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
This farm looks very much like the orchard we took you to up in Red Hook, Molly. No crowds, very peaceful, no frills. Loved the photos and video.
BTW, Dana (aka Donut), your hair looks terrific!
Thank you! This was one of my all time favorite days. I am so glad I adopted your family all those years ago.
Post a Comment