Easter was my favorite holiday as a kid. That's not true, Christmas was. Easter was a close second. There are surprises, family time, ham, chocolates and magical bunnies. I have very concrete memories of decorating eggs at the very table that we now have in our kitchen. I actually found a Paas brand Easter sticker stuck to the bottom of the table a few days ago. It has been stuck there for at least 20 years. I was deeply impressed by that fact.

I hate to admit it, but the decorating portion was sort of torturous this year. I forgot to put newspaper down to absorb spills, Owen was very bossy and threw fits whenever Eric and I tried to decorate an egg, and he was quite heavy handed when placing the eggs in the dye. Usually, he is a total treat, but I was happy when the eggs were back in the fridge.

The next morning, things were much merrier. Owen was excited to hunt for eggs and Eric and i had a lot of funny sending him on a basket hunt.

We met up with Tante in the park. In true Easter fashion, we dressed Owen in pastel. This beautiful, amazing, ornate sweater was made for Owen by our friend Sean's mother, Mrs. Britt. As a knitter myself, the craftsmanship really blew me away.

Tante was the true star of the day. She set up a really beautiful hunt through the garden with cut out bunnies leading the way.

We are so lucky to have so many people in our life who love Owen so deeply. I would have no pictures of Owen in bunny ears without relatives who thought to buy them for him.

Owen had his very first crazy-straw experience at Easter supper. He liked it so much, he insisted on trying the straws of everyone at the table.

I think it is safe to say that we are pretty silly people. Being goofballs, we developed an Easter tradition a few years back of making bizarre Easter themed cakes.

This year Tante got some demented looking chocolate bunnies, and I made a giant lamb for a "Gullivers Travels" type scene.

Kate named it "Gulliver's Baaaaaavels." Dana suggested "Lamb-uel Gulliver's Travels." I told her she was too smart for me in that she knew Gulliver''s first name and could craft a creative name based on that name. I always thought Gulliver was his first name.

All in all it was a happy, joyous splendiforous day. Look how happy eric and I are about our easter Sunday. According to this picture, Owen was less than impressed by the great show of cake art, basket goodies, egg hunting and family togetherness. Perhaps he just kept ruminating about the miserable egg decorating the night before.
It is so very worth it to take a look back at our Past Easters.
Last year's is particularly sweet. Owen's outfit for his
first Easter will be hard to top.
5 comments:
awww..sounds like it was a wonderful easter - we missed you guys - wish we could all be together every holiday but without changing anything that already is...(huh?) - you know what i mean....all our families are the best!
I didn't even realize it until now but the demonic bunnies made an appearance in Owen's first easter blog!
The picture of him in the (handmade!) ears on the hunt for his basket is so sweet, he was so cute following all the bunnies and searching around. He's the best!
Pretty sure the talented Mrs. Britt could replicate Owen's "first" Easter sweater every year in slightly larger sizes. It will look particularly fetching on him when he is, say, 14.
Also, if you inspect the back of the seats of the chairs in Mom and Dads kitchen you will find several matching easter stickers, we used to put the Paas stickers that came with the egg dyes on the backs of the chairs every year. They are easily from 1988 or earlier.
that cake is awesome!! and I love Owen's ears.
Post a Comment