Monday, August 22, 2011

13th Lake, Post 1: Frog Hunting.

Forgive me for my delay in posting vacation pictures. There were a couple of elements at play. 1.) Our camera battery died 12 hours into vacation and I kept forgetting to buy new ones. This occurence left me reliant on others so....2.) I kept forgetting to ask for the pictures from my sister and father. 3.) Once I had the pictures in hand there were 933 of them. I am still wading through and there are so many great ones I don't know where to start. This requires multiple posts. Here is installment one.


The serene lake where we vacationed this year had an abundance of frogs in the reedy sections of the banks. My sister proved herself to be quite deft at catching these slippery little fellows. They were an endless source of fascination for child and adults alike.


You had to be very patient to spot frogs.


Very quiet too.



We periodically interrupted frog hunting for brief forays in sand playing, lake dipping and food eating.


Once, we captured an itty-bitty crawfish instead of a frog. That was neat too.




Owen was nervous about touching him lest he pinch.


After many assurances that the crawfish would not (likely) pinch him, Owen gave it a try. He is such a curious and brave boy.


Exciting as the crawfish was (not terribly), frogs were the true treasure. Each unexpected leap elicited screeches from everyone. I chose a weird picture here to represent that.


Even the tiniest little frog was treated with reverence...


And the big ones were looked at with flat-out wonder.

4 comments:

jeb5 said...

oh...i love this! such beautiful sensitive pictures! i love the one of your dad and owen..and yes - that last picture of owen is hysterical!

Haley said...

How in the world did you manage to capture that last picture? That is absolute perfection.

Andree said...

that last picture is absolutely my favorite yet! SO GREAT!

grandma/jane said...

Everything about this post is so sweet--the pictures, the words & the lovely little boy in the middle of it all. What a pleasure to watch him grow.