A Joshua post is in the works, as is an Easter post but first I bring you "Seder with the Zobels!" For an explanation on the title of this post (Be My Ben Zobelly) please view
THIS . It is an awesome song my sister discovered. She left me a message one day asking who Ben Zobel knew in the rap world and how he finagled a song about himself. Let's just say, he knows people. All sorts of people.
On Saturday we drove up to Bedford Hills for Passover Seder at the Zobel's. Prior to prayer and food we met up for a park date with Ben and Kat. Kat's name proved endlessly confusing for Owen. Whenever he was asked to say her name, he looked baffled and said "meow?" After a trip to the park, and a dip in the mud as you will see below, we drove to the Zobel residence and enjoyed a lovely meal, broken into three tummy filling sections. All the food was artfully prepared by Terri.

The day started out lovely enough. A stroll by the pond, followed by a mini tantrum by a certain somebody who wanted to go IN the pond, followed by resolve that it wasn't going to happen. That Eric!

Then came the tunnel of doom. On one side it as dry and clean and welcoming to a 19 month old boy. On the other end, however....

Was a pile of ooey, gooey, mucky, mud. Owen made sure to fall in it just seconds before daddy could run over and try to prevent it.

He was not happy about this.

Owie got much happier once his pants came off. So little, and yet so much like a grown-up.

The seder was led by Ben who did a lovely job. The meal was crafted by Terri who made an amazing matzoh ball soup, stellar brisket and a really scrumptious charoses.

Once the feast began Owen was in heaven. He took his first bite of gefilte fish and immediately asked for more. This was met by a chorus of "He's a Jew!" Owen ate almost half a ball of the dense, jellified, stinky concoction. Clearly, I am not a Jew and do not share my sons passion for the fish in a jar.

Owie also enjoyed eating soap. He hasn't quite grasped the concept of keeping the wand outside of his mouth to produce bubbles.

In-between courses we all took to the living room to talk, digest and enjoy the company of friends who are family.

We hope you had a happy Passover! Next Year in Israel....with better wine.
Okay, fine. Manischevitz is actually the only wine I like because it tastes like grape juice and not alcohol. So, next year in Israel and bring the Manishevitz. Actually, Bedford Hills would be a lot more convenient than Israel soooooooo, next year in Bedford Hills again with grape juice wine!
6 comments:
what a funny, tender, endearing post..
What a fun seder! I just love that first photo of Owen & Eric. It cracks me up that you like Manischewitz wine. I once tried to make it more palatable by making a cocktail out of it - it was actually not bad! (Recipe here: http://girlymae.vox.com/library/post/duck-breast-with-roasted-red-onions-and-pomegranate-molasses.htm - actually I really laughed rereading that blog post because the furniture item I refer to as our liquor cabinet is now Archie's changing table... oh how times have changed!)
The photo of Owen in the tunnel is beautiful!!! The next 2 completely break my heart though.
Ben & Kat- that is the classiest la-z-boy I have ever seen!
Were your eyes crossed before you had the Manny or was this your 2nd (or 3rd, 4th) glass of "grape juice"?
Dad, Mani is serious business. I had to make sure Eric poured the exact right amount before I passed out under the table.
Joshua is not only breath-takingly beautiful but amazingly alert, and sweet Julia even has the world's longest and thickest eyelashes. Congratulations to Ben and Jen - two perfect little ones!
Re the Seder, I think Owen is protesting the fact that he has one olive and 2 chicken nuggets on his plates while the other men have beers and full plates, and Julia looks so sad that she has nothing to eat but two baby carrots. Somehow I thought Seders were about food. Note to self: check up on Exodus.
Post a Comment