Last week while I was speaking to my mom on the phone it came up that I was taking Owen to get fitted for his first pair of shoes. He has had booties, and robeez and novelty shoes galore, but I wanted to get him a pair of crawling and walking shoes. "Ooo!" my mom exclaimed, "Can I come? That is a really special event." I had not thought of it as a special "first," but in retrospect it really is. I was off to buy him the shoes he will likely learn to walk in. He will become a toddler in these shoes!
I did my research and learned from the internet and our pediatrician that soft soled shoes are the best for new walkers. Stride rite carried a bunch so Owen and I jetted of to glamorous Central Avenue. Grandma and I both brought our cameras with us. Sadly all the pictures came out blurry. No problem though since Stride Rite doesn't carry soft soled shoes in his size. Our beautiful, wonderful Owen was fitted and wears a... drum-roll please... size 6, extra wide. To give you perspective on that- it is the size most 2 year olds wear. Our boy has baby canoe feet.
Back home, I went online and ordered him a pair of soft soled Pedipeds in his size. They arrived yesterday. I am so glad my mom pointed out that first shoes are an important first. Had she not, I might not have had our video camera at the ready to captured his first few minutes as a bonafide "shoes wearing dude". I wouldn't have captured the cuteness that follows. A cuteness that has not reoccurred as the shoes novelty has worn off (about two minutes into being a "shoes wearing dude").
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
To really put it in perspective, Owen's big cousin Julia, who has been walking for over a year, wears a size 6-7. Wow, Owen, way to make this side of the family feel even smaller than it already does!
who knew shoes are so yummy and low in points!
sura stole my words!! such a big boy!! i'm all mushy inside..
It seems that Owen's logic is that if he moves away from his shoes, they'll disappear.
The shoes are adorable and they really showcase his terrific gams! (The pantsless look doesn't hurt either...)
I see your interior decorator has the same design sense as ours - a tasteful spewing of toys and books casually carpeting the floor.
Is it wrong that we both started to laugh at the same point in the video when Owen trips on his shoes? The Reeder women are terrible. I'm glad Owen protested the laughter.
Mom said he was protesting the laughter too-- but I think that he was mad he tripped. He always cranks when he bumps into something.
I love serious Owen is about munching on his new shoes. He is hugely adorable!
Post a Comment